Header Ads

cowboys

Dalvin Cook believes he can still produce at a high level for the Cowboys

Buffalo Bills v New York Jets
Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images

Dalvin Cook doesn't feel he's lost a step at all.

It's no secret that the Dallas Cowboys are going to a running-back-by-committee scenario in 2024 after failing to address the position in the NFL draft. When the dust settled from picking the 53-man roster, the Cowboys went with Ezekiel Elliott, Rico Dowdle, Deuce Vaughn, and Hunter Luepke (fullback) at the running back position. However, Dallas still felt they needed more and had veteran Dalvin Cook come in for a visit.

Cook started last season with the New York Jets. Needless to say, the experiment was a disaster. Cook would only log 67 carries for 214 yards as Breece Hall would get the bulk of the work in the running game. When he did get his opportunities, the burst from years past looked to have been a memory, and Cook and the Jets decided to mutually part ways. When Cook signed with the Baltimore Ravens for the playoffs, it was the same thing. There was nothing to be excited about when it came to Cook's performance.

In Dallas, Cook will be on the practice squad. So, he'll be used as insurance in case one of the guys above him gets an injury or is inactive which is the perfect scenario for him because being tasked with a big load isn't something he needs to be doing at this stage in his career. Despite what was seen a year ago, Cook still believes that when his number is called, he can find that other gear and make plays.

I got it. It’s right here.

Cook had his best years in the league with the Minnesota Vikings, where he had four consecutive 1,000-yard seasons (2019-2022) and racked up four Pro Bowl nods in the process. Three of those years, Cook did so playing under Mike Zimmer, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator. Although they haven't been in the same building in a few years, the relationship between Cook and Zimmer hasn't wavered and it was a big factor in getting him to sign with the Cowboys, much like it did with linebacker Eric Kendricks and defensive tackle Linval Joseph who also had their best seasons under Zimmer with the Vikings.

As mentioned earlier, Cook is long past being the lead horse in a running back room. Years and years of getting beat up have caused a change of course in his career. With that has come an adjustment for Cook not just on the field but off of it.

What I can tell you, man: in this league, running backs, we take our bodies through so much. But it’s a point where you’ve got to know, alright, I’m getting up to a certain age, I’ve got to start upping the stuff off the field. As for me, I just picked up a certain routine and I just ran with it.

I just feel like it’s got me to this point where I’m healthy and ready to go. So just stick to a routine. No matter the age, man. If you’ve got it, go get it. That’s my mindset.

It's a rough reality for some running backs once they get to a point where their best years may be in the rear view. Cook doesn't lack confidence, but there's another factor that keeps him going, being a father.

My résumé speaks for itself to be honest. But I just had a son [Dalvin Jr.]. He turned 1 a week ago. I have everything to prove to him, to be honest. I owe the world to him. Every day I put on my pads, every day I wake up, that’s my why.

Cook can be elevated three times to the Cowboys roster on game day. After that, they would need to add him to the active roster.


No comments